Pomegranate, carrot and chickpea braise
Recipe summaryClick image to view larger version
Suitable for vegans
Category Main course
Preparation 10 mins
Cooking 30 mins
Pomegranate molasses is fabulously sweet and sour and with the spicy chilli and salty feta, this easy-to-put-together dish is a real winner!
GO VEGAN: This braise is just as delicious without the cheese, or try Sheese Greek Style if you want to add a feta-type flavour.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and dic
- 3 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and water reserved
- 1 tsp sumac
- sea salt and black pepper
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 courgette, diced
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- 70g vegetarian feta, crumbled
Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan or saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, chilli and thyme for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Stir in the pomegranate molasses, followed by the chickpeas and reserved chickpea water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Now add the courgette and cook for a further 5 minutes.
The sauce should have thickened slightly and be coating the chickpeas and vegetables.
Remove from the heat and add the sumac and pomegranate seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with the feta, fresh mint and some freshly sliced chilli, if you like a bit of extra heat!
Leave a comment
Have you tried this recipe? What did you think? Any tips or advice? Simply enter your details (your email address will not be publicly viewable) and your comment will be displayed below.